The Battle of Karbala occurred on Muharram 10, in the year 61 AH of the Islamic date-book (October 10, 680 AD) in Karbala, in present-day Iraq.
The Battle of Karbala is honoured amid a yearly 10-day time span held each Muharram by each Muslim, coming full circle on its tenth day, known as the Day of Ashura.
1. Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA) was invited to Kufa to get guidance on not to start a War
People of Kufa asked for Imam Hussain (RA)’s help because they said they are bing oppressed by the Kahlifa of time, Yazid.
2. Hazrat Muslim Ibn-e-Aqeel was the first Martyr of Karbala
He was sent by Imam Hussain with a guidance for the people of Kufa, but Yazid’s army martyred him.
He was the nephew of Hazrat Ali (ra) and cousin of Imam Hasan (RA). He was also married to the daughter of Hazrat Ali (RA) Ruqaiya.
3. Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA) did not take any kind of Army with him to Karbala
Imam Hussain (RA) took only 72 people with him, which has Women and Children and his family members. Because he did not go there to start a war.
4. Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA) met a poet during his journey to Kufa
He told Imam Hussain (RA) not to go Kufa, as the people of Kufa are with government and planning to call him.
5. When Imam Hussain (RA) reached Karbala, the first thing he did was buying his own land there
Imam Hussain (RA) bought a land in Karbala as he knew that it will be his final resting place. About his martyrdom in Karbala is already been told even before his birth!
6. Hur returned to Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA)
Hur, who was in Yazid’s Army, came back to Imam Hussain (RA) and joined him. He was the person who stopped Imam Hussain (RA) and his family to get water! He came back and asked for forgiveness in-front of Hussain (RA).
7. The youngest Martyred of Karbala was “Hazrat Ali Asgher (RA)”
He was only 6 years old, a poisoned arrow stuck into his neck which made him a youngest martyred in Karbala.
8. Hazrat Zain Ul Abideen (RA) was the only male survivor in the battle of Karbala
He did not fight because of his illness, later he was captured as a prisoner along with the women and children left in the Hussain (RA)’s family.
9. Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA) was the last martyr in the battle of Karbala
Cruel Yazid’s Army, cut of his head! ALLAH HO AKBER! made him the last martyr in the battle of Karbala.
10. Women in Imam Hussain (RA)’s family was taken as prisoners by Cruel Yazid’s army!
The ladies which incorporated the Holy Prophet (PBUH)’s amazing little girl and other ladies of high regard were anchored together and paraded through the region of Syria.